Saturday, January 21, 2017

Reading Profile

Obviously, I enjoy reading. I like a good range of genres: mystery, thriller/suspense, historical fiction, fantasy, literary fiction. I never pick up a romance novel. The titles and covers usually make me cringe. I also don't tend to pick up realistic fiction. Part of the reason I like to read is to escape into another world. One of my favorite settings is turn of the century England. I like a book with a fair amount of secrets. I also really enjoy series.

What really pulls me into a book, though, are the characters. The plot may be why I pick up a book, but I stick around for well-developed characters. I want to see characters that have layers and real personalities. I want to connect and empathize and grow with the characters. That is what makes a book for me.

I am/was currently reading A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin. It is the second book in his series A Song of Fire and Ice. I really enjoy the different view points. For someone who has so many characters (SO MANY CHARACTERS), he does a very good job of developing all of their different personalities.

I am putting it on hold right now to read books for our genre reviews. This time a few years ago, I would have had it finished. Right now, I am working full time, take graduate classes full time, have a 1 1/2 year old son running around, and am expecting a second son in May. My biggest wish right now is that I had more time to read (and also sleep.)

Some of my favorite books/authors (these are the ones that I keep up with and typically re-read):
J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series
Alan Bradley's Flavia deLuce series
Kate Morton's books (especially The Secret Keeper)
Suzanne Collins's The Hunger Games series
Cassandra Clare's multiple different shadowhunter series
Charles Finch's Charles Lennox Mystery series
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Persuasion by Jane Austen
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
George R. R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice series

As you can see, I am kind of all over the place.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Paige, I'm amazed that you have any time to read! Your page name is a fun play on words and your reader's profile was so descriptive. Reader's advisory would be so much easier if patrons could verbalize their likes, dislikes, and preferences the way you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you Paige. Sounds like your life is so fun and exciting. We have similar reading styles and interests. I am excited to try some of the titles on your list and sharing more with you and others throughout the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am obsessed with George R.R. Martin. I wish you had more time to read it, but I understand, what a crazy busy life! Great profile!

    ReplyDelete